(Part I – ACLS Provider Course)
Aims and Objectives:
The knowledge and skills obtained on the Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support Provider Course include:
- Advanced Airway Management
- Non-invasive airway techniques and devices
- Invasive airway techniques and devices
Tracheal intubation and adjuncts
- The Major ACLS Emergency Conditions
- Respiratory arrest
- Ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia
- Pulseless electrical activity and asystole
- Bradycardias and tachycardias
- Acute myocardial infarction
- Defibrillation with automated and manual defibrillators
- Synchronized cardioversion
- Transcutaneous pacing
Invasive & Non Invasive therapeutic and monitoring techniques
- Peripheral & Intra osseous IV access
- Needle thoracostomy
- The use of emergency medications
Team leadership, team dynamics and resuscitation team co-ordination
Any healthcare worker who has Current registration as a Medical or Dental practitioner, Intern, Junior Intern, Professional Nurse or Paramedic and are expected to be proficient with resuscitation. Candidates must have a Valid Basic Life Support for Healthcare providers Certificate in accordance with the Resuscitation Council of Southern Africa.
2 days of interactive discussion, video instruction, practical skills instruction, hands on skills sessions and case based scenario simulation training
Pre course preparation
A comprehensive ACLS Provider Manual is supplied for self study prior to ACLS Course participation.
Assessment &course evaluation
Candidates are expected to pass a Pre-Entry MCQ test Based on the ACLS Provider Manual [required passmark = 84%].They must also pass a practical evaluation as team leader during the management of a peri-arrest patient.
Each candidate will receive an American Heart Association ACLS Provider course completion Card upon successful completion of the Course.
Accredited by the Health Professions Council of SA for 30 Continuing Education units (including medical ethics).