Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers Course
Aims and Objectives
- The knowledge and skills obtained on the BLS HCP Course include:
- Causes and prevention of respiratory and cardiac arrest
- 1&2 rescuer CPR techniques for adults, children and infants
- Basic ventilatory and circulatory adjuncts
- Obstructed airway in the adult, child and infant
- Bag valve mask ventilation techniques
- Automated external defibrillation
- Medico-legal aspects of basic life support
Any healthcare worker who has a voluntary or professional duty to respond to a cardio / respiratory emergency.
5 hours of video based instruction, individual equipment skills learning and practice. Single and 2-Person CPR practice.
Pre course preparation
A comprehensive BLS for Healthcare Provider manual is supplied for self study prior to Course participation.
Assessment & course evaluation
Candidates are expected to pass a Pre-Entry MCQ test Based on the BLS for Healthcare Providers manual [required passmark = 84%].They must also pass a practical examination of one and two rescuer Adult, Child and Infant CPR as well as use of the AED.
Each candidate will receive an American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Provider course completion Card upon successful completion of the Course.
Accredited by the Health Professions Council of SA for 15 Continuing Education units.